Privacy Notice & Policy
Who we are
Purple Leaf is a trading name of West Mercia Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre.
Our Privacy Principles
We will look after any personal information that you share with us. This is central to our values as an organisation. We want everyone who comes to us for our services or information to feel confident about how any personal information they share will be looked after or used.
You can be confident that:
- We only use personal information in the ways we need to and that is expected of us.
- We will make it easy for you to tell us how you want us to communicate with you, including how to opt out from future communications.
- We will never release your information to organisations outside Purple Leaf and WMRSASC for their marketing purposes.
- We will be especially careful and sensitive when engaging with vulnerable people or those we have reason to believe may be vulnerable.
- We take all reasonable care to safeguard your personal information through security policies and secure business processes.
How we collect personal information about you
We may collect personal information from you when you interact with Purple Leaf. There are many occasions when this could happen, for example: if you enquire about our activities, register with us, ask a question about our services, training courses or education programmes, apply for a job, or provide us with personal information. This information may be collected by phone, via our website, through the post, or in person.
What information do we collect?
The personal information we collect might include your contact details such as name, date of birth, email address, postal address, telephone number, as well as information you provide in any correspondence between us.
We may also collect some information if you tell us about your experience or the experiences of a friend or relative; however, you can decide if you want to remain anonymous or if you are happy to share your personal details.
We also gather general information about the use of our website, such as which pages users visit most often and which services, events or facilities are of most interest. We may also track which pages users visit when they click on links in Purple Leaf emails. We may use this information to personalise the way our website is presented when users visit, to make improvements to our website and to ensure we provide the best service for users. Wherever possible we use aggregated or anonymous information which does not identify individual visitors to our website.
‘Cookie’ is a name for a small file, usually of letters and numbers, which is downloaded onto your device, like your computer, mobile phone, or tablet, when you visit a website. Cookies let websites recognise your device, so that the sites can work, or work better, and also gather information about how you use the site. A cookie, by itself, cannot identify you.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find most useful. A cookie does not give us access to your computer or any information about you.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
How do we use personal information?
We may use your personal information to:
- Provide you with the important advice, information and support you’ve asked us for.
- Provide or administer activities relating to all our services: updating you with important administrative messages, to help us identify you when you contact us, and help us to properly maintain our records.
- Improve your experience with us. We may use your information to enhance the service that our staff provide, to improve our information and communications, or to personalise the website to better suit your needs.
- Analyse the personal information we collect about you so that we can better understand our supporters, their preferences and needs and important trends.
- We may need to disclose your information if required to do so by law, but we will always ask for your consent. We will not pass on your details to anyone else without your express permission, except in exceptional circumstances. Examples of this might include anyone reporting serious self-harm or posing a threat to others, children contacting us and sharing serious issues.
Your personal information and details of the enquiries received are stored on a secure database for no longer than is necessary. We carry out periodic deletion of data.
Who sees your personal information?
The personal information we collect about you will be used by our staff at Purple Leaf and WMRSASC so that they can support you; and possibly to legal and regulatory authorities if required to by law.
We will never sell or share your personal information with organisations. Nor do we sell any information about web browsing activity.
Your information security
We take the security of your personal information extremely seriously. We have implemented appropriate physical, technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information we have under our control, both on and offline, from improper access, use, alteration, destruction, and loss.
We only keep your personal information for as long as is reasonable and necessary.
Here are some of the ways we protect your personal information:
- If you provide personal information to us online, that information is encrypted for protection on transmission to us. Encryption is the process through which sensitive information is scrambled before it is transmitted, so that it remains private even if it is intercepted.
- If you provide personal information to us offline, it is kept securely in our databases and offices.
- Our website may contain links to other websites. While we try to link only to sites that share our high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content, or the privacy practices employed by these other sites. Please be aware that websites that have links on our site may collect personally identifiable information about you if you visit their site. This privacy statement does not cover the information practices of those websites.
All personal data is collected and stored securely in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act 1998.
How to update or access your personal information
You may ask us at any time to update your details, correct or remove information you think is inaccurate by contacting us. You also have a right to know what personal information Purple Leaf and WMRSASC holds about you. To update any details or request a copy of your personal information we hold, contact us by the following:
Writing: Purple Leaf, PO Box 240, Worcester, WR1 2LF
Purple Leaf is Trading name of West Mercia Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre (WMRSASC)
WMRSASC is a charitable company limited by guarantee in England & Wales - Charity Registration 1136677, Company Registration 07083844.
Registered office: Kendall Wadley Chartered Accountants, 71 Graham Road, Malvern, WR14 2JS (not part of WMRSASC premises)